There’s a saying that goes, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” If this rings true to you, even a little bit, you can apply the expression to any emotional setback you experience. Each challenge can serve as both a learning tool and a growing experience if you let it!
Maybe you’re trying to recover from a breakup, or perhaps you’re learning to cope with the passing of a loved one. Whatever your situation, it’s possible to take action to enable you to feel less overwhelmed by these emotions.
The route you take to healing can help you gain valuable benefits from your challenging experiences.
Try these tips to triumph over emotional setbacks and get back to the happy, healthy life you’re accustomed to:
- Help someone in need. There’s always someone who’s worse off than you are! Chances are, if you spend time trying to help that person out of the slump they’re in, you’ll feel fulfilled and capable. In turn, this will help you rise above your own emotional setback.
- Emphasize their strengths. Show them that they have what it takes to overcome.
- Provide the emotional support they need. A listening ear can do wonders!
- Allow yourself to lose yourself in that person’s cause.
- Try praying for emotional healing.
- Spend time contemplating prior experiences that showed you the power of faith.
- Most of all, believe in your abilities to overcome. If this seems hard to put faith in, ask for help from a trusted counselor. Or go straight to your higher power.
- Disconnect from the source of your emotional downfall and focus on making a positive impact elsewhere.
- Put your heart into your new project so that your emotions are engaged in something other than your sadness.
- Share your fulfillment with friends and family.
- Are you feeling challenged by a breakup? Take an honest look at the outcome. Are there any ways that you’re better off without that person in your life?
- Is the issue the passing of a loved one? Regardless of what you believe about what happens after death, chances are good that they’re in a much better place!
- Did you lose your job? Take a step back and look at yourself. Which of your untapped resources can you use to turn your dilemma into a beneficial situation? Are you sitting on a talent you never explored?
We’re all designed to feel emotions, both good and bad. But we’re also made to learn from them and allow them to connect us to our true purpose in life. You’re no different!
Embrace your emotions for what they are. Accept them. Then move forward, knowing that what you learn now will help sustain you through a lifetime of challenges and joys.