1. Practice constructive self-talk. Put a positive spin on all the new things you’re experiencing. Let your growing tummy remind you of the joys of motherhood. Focus on your best physical features, whether it’s your eyes or your new bust line.
2. Welcome support from your loved ones. Accept compliments graciously when your partner or other loved ones tell you that you’re glowing. Surround yourself with family and friends who make you feel good.
3. Remember that the weight gain is temporary. Take comfort in knowing that you’ll soon return to your usual size. Post-pregnancy weight loss will be even easier if you work with your doctor to stick to sensible eating and exercise habits. This usually means gaining about 25 to 35 pounds over 9 months.
1. Buy a variety of flattering maternity clothes. Attractive and comfortable outfits will make pregnancy more pleasant. There are many options that’ll show off your curves without highlighting your abdomen. Look for tie-backs and side shirring on tops. Wrap-around dresses and empire waists are also good choices.
2. Stretch your wardrobe budget. Shop for styles that will work for all three trimesters. Stomach panels and stretchy fabrics like spandex will expand along with you. Get separates that you can accessorize for both casual and more formal occasions.
3. Select the right bras. Most women gain a cup size or more. Get professional fittings to ensure adequate support and to make your clothes look their best. You may want to start wearing your nursing bra during your last trimester.
4. Check your shoe size. Even your feet get bigger during pregnancy. Protect your health and look more graceful by getting shoes that fit. Wedges or chunky heels can give you extra height without throwing off your balance.
1. Style your hair. Your hair may grow more lustrous during pregnancy thanks to changing hormones and prenatal vitamins. Consider wearing it long and wavy to complement your fuller figure. Side-swept bangs, layers, and highlights also help to slim your face.
2. Change your eyeglass frames. If your face gets rounder, you can use eyeglass frames to create the illusion of angles and greater length. Experiment with rectangular shapes and skinny rims.
3. Minimize sun exposure. Your skin becomes more sensitive to the sun during pregnancy. Avoid premature aging by wearing protective clothing and using sunscreens with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
4. Treat acne breakouts. Acne is common in expectant mothers. Talk with your doctor about safe treatments. Consult your doctor with safety questions about any health and beauty products you use while you’re expecting.
5. Banish dark under-eye circles. Some women find that the skin under their eyes appears darker during pregnancy. You can minimize this by getting plenty of sleep. Putting cucumber slices over your eyes also helps. If circles persist, use concealer in a shade close to your skin tone and blend it well. Avoid using mascara and eyeliner on your lower lashes.
6. Play up your nails. You may be one of the lucky women whose nails start growing faster and stronger. In any case, you can draw attention to your pretty hands by treating yourself to a manicure. Just use phthalate-free nail polish and apply it in a room that’s well ventilated.
Pregnancy is an incredible experience! Take good care of your baby and celebrate your changing body.