Check out these 15 resolutions you can make to improve your physical and mental well being during the next 12 months and beyond.
Resolutions to Improve Your Physical Health
- Eat right. Focus on adopting healthy eating habits rather than resorting to crash diets. Learn to eat more slowly and reduce your portion sizes.
- Eat a variety of foods with plenty of complex carbohydrates, fresh vegetables and fruits. Add in some lean proteins and healthy fats to complete your meals.
- Find a variety of activities that you enjoy, like brisk walks and biking.
- Get an exercise ball or treadmill that you can use at home on busy days or when the weather outside is unpleasant.
- Many people make several attempts before quitting for good so be open to various cessation methods. Your doctor may be able to help you find the right plan for you.
Resolutions to Improve Your Mental Health
- Manage stress. Keeping stress under control lets you enjoy life more. Set aside time each day for meditation or listening to soothing music.
- Build healthy relationships. Develop a strong network of support. Communicate openly and with respect.
- Monitor your thoughts. Think positive. Divert your attention away from nonproductive worrying by brainstorming creative solutions to challenging situations.
- Practice positive self talk. Be a good friend to yourself. Remind yourself of your strengths and accomplishments.
- Be compassionate.Show compassion to yourself and others. Be aware of the suffering in the world and look for ways to alleviate it.
- Engage in lifelong learning. Keep your mind sharp by giving it constant challenges. Take adult education classes or listen to foreign language tapes.
- Consider counseling. It’s wise and courageous to ask for help when you need it.Professional counseling or spiritual practices may help you bounce back from unfortunate events like divorce or unemployment. They can be useful for smaller things, too, like if you’ve just had a rough week.
While many New Year’s resolutions get discarded faster than the dried out Christmas tree, there are ways to make them stick. Set specific goals that are meaningful and attainable for you. Improving your physical and mental health is a great gift for yourself and your whole family.