Does your body ever feel stiff or sore? As we go through the motions of our often sedentary activities, it can be easy to forget that our bodies need tending too. With just a little conscious thought, you can increase your physical well being today.
Incorporate these easy activities into your daily routines to help keep your body healthy:
1. Stand up and stretch. Whether you’re home watching TV or at work behind your desk, sitting for long periods can really take its toll, especially on your back. To ensure that you stay healthy and flexible:
• Avoid slouching in the chair or couch if you have to sit for long periods.
• Take a 1-minute break every 30 minutes to walk around and stretch your legs and back muscles.
• Support your back. Perhaps you would be more comfortable in different chair. You may also find that a lumbar cushion or back brace would be helpful.
2. Avoid spending hours at the computer. Your job may require you to work at a computer all day. However, no matter how busy you are, you can take a moment or two every hour to rest your eyes. Here are some suggestions to ease your eyes:
• Use an anti-glare screen to decrease contrast.
• Take frequent breaks and rest your gaze out a window or at far-away object. Relaxing your eyes will help you avoid eyestrain.
• Ensure that you have good lighting; there should be light around your monitor, and even behind it. Avoid using the computer in the dark!
• Minimize the amount of clutter around your monitor. Your eyes have more work to do when there are excess items in your frame of vision.
3. Lift with your legs. As we go through “the motions” on a daily basis, we often overlook the impact small things can have on our physical health. For example: how we lift. Like most of us, you may forget sometimes that lifting with your back can cause damage. Try to remain conscious of this fact to protect your body.
• Bend at the knees, not at the waist to take the pressure off your sensitive back muscles and prevent unnecessary damage.