Do you sometimes feel like you can’t cope with all the issues in your life? Do you typically feel low when things don’t seem to be going your way? If so, it doesn’t have to be this way! You can break through those negative feelings and thoughts.
Try these tips to strengthen your emotional wellness and bring more peace to your life:
- Know the signs of depression. You don’t need to be worried about your mental health to do some research and be able to recognize the signs of possible depression. In all likelihood, you’re simply battling some low points. If your symptoms do point toward depression, take action to seek help. Some things to consider:
- What do statistics say about people with depression?
- What are the major factors contributing to depression?
- Do you have traits that make you prone to anxiety or depression?
- How can you tell if you’re spiraling downward?
- Spend a lot of quality time with family members and friends doing things you all enjoy.
- Instead of internalizing unpleasant feelings or thoughts, talk with your support network about them.
- Talk to people around you who have been able to turn negative occurrences into positive learning experiences.
- Connect with your spiritual side and find your strengths.
- Spend some time each day meditating and re-centering. This will help you create mental stability and resilience.
- Get involved with a charitable organization and focus your energies on giving hope and help to the less fortunate.
- Take up a sport or hobby that engages you both mentally and physically. The sense of achievement as you learn and perfect the activity will help you to develop mental wellness.
With the myriad of concerns that can present themselves in our fast-paced lives, mental and emotional balance isn’t always easy to achieve. However, with positive effort and focus, you can cultivate resilience.
The steps above are just a beginning. As you go forth on your journey toward happiness and wholeness, you’ll find even more techniques that work for you. Embrace your challenges as opportunities to grow, and you’ll be rewarded beyond your wildest dreams.
Self-talk is an integral constant in your life. You start talking to yourself when you wake up in the morning and don’t stop until you fall asleep at night. Who would’ve thought you had so much to say? Right? But you do!
When self-talk is positive and helpful, amazing things can happen. When self-talk is negative, life can be much more challenging than it has to be.
Like much of who you are, your style of self-talk is a habit that has been molded by your experiences and environment. Imagine how your life could change for the better if you were able to alter your self-talk into something more supporting and encouraging.
You can start living that life today! Just follow these simple steps to get started:
1. Make a list of your negative self-talk phrases and attitudes. For 24 hours, record everything you say to yourself that isn’t supportive, regardless of whether or not you think it’s true. Here are a few examples to get you thinking:
• “He would never want to talk to me.”
• “I’m not good enough for that.”
• “I could never do that.”
• “Things will never get better.”
2. Prioritize your list. Which items have the greatest negative impact on your life and your sense of happiness? Put the list in order, from greatest negative impact to least.
• Prioritizing is important because it will naturally force you to spend your time on the most important items.
3. Create a new list. Now that you’ve made your list, you’re going to improve it. Convert at least the first 10 items on your list into positive thoughts. If you’re feeling motivated, you can rewrite as many more as you like.
• Even if you don’t believe the new, positive idea, just change it into a positive version. For example, “I could never do that” changes to, “I can do anything I set my mind to.”
4. Change your thinking. Now, for the challenging part. Each time you catch yourself engaging in self-talk matching an item from your list, substitute the new self-talk expression.
• Be diligent at all times. Considering how many times you may have said the negative item to yourself, this new practice will require a lot of attention. The good news is that over time, the positive things you say to yourself will become a habit, too!
5. Move further down the list. After you’ve conquered the 10 most negative items, look at the list and consider how it would improve your life to change those remaining negative self-talk items. You may have formed such positive habits with your first 10 items that the rest of them might not really be applicable anymore!
Self-talk will always be there, so it will benefit you to exercise some control over it. Anything you hear over and over again, you start to believe. That’s the way our minds work.
The first step to gaining that control is to monitor your thoughts and feelings. Then the necessary steps can be taken to change it for the better. As with all habits, these self-talk patterns can be challenging to change, but doing so will really boost your happiness. Get started today!
Do you feel like you need a vacation? Vacations can lift your spirits, energize your body and soul, and bring new vigor to your life. If you believe you need a vacation and can’t decide where you want to go or what you want to do, consider some of the follow ideas.
Regardless of where you live, you’re probably a drivable distance to a national park. National parks are great places to re-charge your batteries while soothing your soul. Refreshing destinations, they provide enriching experiences by getting you close to nature. Breathtaking trees, fascinating plant life, and critters of all types abound in a national park near you.
Before you go, check out the hotels within a few miles’ distance from the national park you select. You can often find information or reviews about them on the internet. Bring a relaxing end to each day spent in the woods by staying in a lodge or cabin on the premises of the park.
Hiking and Backpacking Vacations
For a more rugged vacation, you might consider a hiking or backpacking trip. If you’re truly the nature lover and prefer to pack a tent and sleep beneath a dark ceiling of twinkling stars, this might be just the adventure for you. Challenging and rarely boring, a hiking vacation is rejuvenating to those who love new discoveries and relish testing their own strengths.
Although a hiking vacation is definitely not for the faint of heart, an outdoorsy individual might select this vacation to lift his spirits. A fascinating way to refuel your soul, a hiking and backpacking vacation brings you totally back to nature.
Into the Mountains
Taking a trip to stay in the mountains for days or weeks is an amazing vacation. If you haven’t been close to the mountains, you’re missing out on one of the most awe-inspiring environments Mother Nature has to offer. Mountain vacations can include staying at some lovely lodges and modernly outfitted cabins to make your trip pleasant and comfortable.
If you decide on a mountain vacation, you’ll be surprised to learn that you might also be able to stay in a spa hotel within close proximity of the majestic landmarks. Consider the season of the year you want to vacation in the mountains. Spring and summer are excellent choices for a mountain vacation and are often less expensive than wintertime at ski resorts.
Make use of the internet to explore your choice of mountain locations. Find out about the accommodations in the areas. A visit to a mountainous region will be a truly inspiring nature vacation.
If you prefer cold weather activities followed by a dip in the hot tub and a cup of hot chocolate in front of a fireplace, you might try a skiing vacation.
On a skiing vacation, you’ll get the exhilaration of being out in nature along with the spectacular views afforded from mountains in the wintertime. Beautiful lodges and 5 star accommodations can be had on a ski trip, should you desire luxury.
Perhaps you seek a vacation that pampers and pleases. If that’s the case, investigate spas in the area you wish to visit. Health spas are found all over the world, and serve to revive, refresh and rejuvenate those who visit.
Whether you want massages, facials, or intensive hydrotherapy treatments, locate a spa that has the treatments you seek. This vacation will uplift your body and soul by allowing you hours of pampered relaxation. Just remember to pack a book or two!
If you love the sun and love the smell of flowers in the air, consider a vacation to a tropical locale. All over the world, you can find destinations where the palm trees sway in the breezes and the local “city life” takes on a slow, relaxing pace. Re-energize your body by eating the local cuisine of fresh fruits and fish. A day at the beach watching the palette of blue waters will relax and soothe.
Everyone needs a vacation from time to time. Uplift your body and soul by visiting one of these inspiring locales.